Ph.D. Agricultural Economics, University of Minnesota, 1984
M.S., Agricultural Economics, University of Tennessee, 1980
B.A., Political Science, Central College, 1971
My research focuses on cost-effective ways to reduce non-point source pollution from agriculture and other sources. Recent areas where I have applied my research include climate change and water quality in the Chesapeake Bay, recycling of irrigation water by horticultural operations, and improvements to water infrastructure.
Role of Graduate Students
Graduate students play an important role in planning and carrying out research in which I am involved. Their research involvement is a very important part in their graduate education.
- Irrigation water management, disease, and economic risks and returns to horticultural operations
- Effects of climate change on water quality protection costs in Chesapeake Bay Watershed
- Decision tools to assist stakeholders in prioritizing goals and strategies for watershed management
Conservation Agriculture as a Potential Pathway to Better Resource Management, Higher Productivity, and Improved Socio-Economic Conditions in the Andean Region.
- Effects of land use change on water quality protection costs in Chesapeake Bay Watershed.
- Consumer, producer, and social benefits of irrigation water recycling in horticulture
- AAEC 3014 Analytical Methods in Applied Economics
- AAEC 5104 Research Project Planning
- ALS/NR 4614/5614 Watershed Assessment, Management, and Policy
Other Teaching and Advising
I serve as major/co-major advisor to graduate students. I mentor my students so they will develop their independence, creativity, and organizational skills in carrying out research.
With Alwang and Norton, I have led several groups of undergraduate students in six-week research internships in Ecuador. These trips provide students with the opportunity to gain first hand research experience and proficiency in Spanish as well as expose them to Ecuadorian culture and institutions. In addition, I have also advised undergraduates on other research topics dealing with environmental economics and agriculture.
- Professor, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Virginia Tech, 1999 - Present.
- Associate Professor, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Virginia Tech, 1990-1999.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Virginia Tech, 1984-1990.
- Research Assistant, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics, University of Minnesota, 1980-1984.
- Research Assistant, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Society, University of Tennessee, 1978-1980.
Lifetime Achievement Award, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, 2018
Honorable Mention, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association Land, Water and Environmental Economics Section Outstanding Poster Award, AAEA annual meeting, 2016
Co-Editor, Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics (2010-2013)
Agricultural and Resource Economics Review Outstanding Journal Article, 2007
Visiting Scholar at LAMETA (Institute of Applied and Theoretical Economics), Montpellier, France, Jan-Jul, 2008.
Selected recent publications
- Bosch, D.J., M.B. Wagena, A.C. Ross, A.S. Collick, and Z.M. Easton. 2018. Meeting Water Quality Goals under Climate Change in Chesapeake Bay Watershed, USA. Journal of the American Water Resources Association. 1-19, https://doi.org/10.1111/1752-1688.12684.
- Xiang Cao, Darrell J. Bosch, and James W. Pease. 2017. Recycling Irrigation Water on Ornamental Nursery Operations: Will Consumer Premiums Compensate for Growers’ Costs? HortScience.
- Giuffria, Jonathon M., Darrell J. Bosch, Daniel B. Taylor, and Nasrin Alamdari. 2017. Costs of Water Quality Goals under Climate change in Urbanizing Watersheds: Difficult Run, Virginia. Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management. (143:9) (July 2017)
- Ferraro, Nathaniel, Darrell J. Bosch, James W. Pease, and James S. Owen. 2017. Costs of Capturing and Recycling Irrigation Water in Container Nurseries. HortScience.
- Cultice, Alyssa, Darrell J. Bosch, James Pease, Kevin J. Boyle, and Weibin Xu. Horticultural Growers’ Willingness to Adopt Recycling of Irrigation Water. Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics. 48(1)(2016): 99-118.
- Tanellari, E., D. Bosch, K. Boyle, and E. Mykerezi. “On Consumers' Attitudes and Willingness to Pay for Improved Drinking Water Quality and Infrastructure.”, Water Resources Research, (2015) 51, 47–57, doi:10.1002/2013WR014934.
- Pan, Ane, Darrell J. Bosch, and Huiman Ma. Assessing Water Poverty in China Using Holistic and Dynamic Principal Component Analysis. Social Indicators Research. (2015): doi:10.1007/s11205-015-1191-3.
- Bosch, D., J. Pease, R. Wieland, and D. Parker. "Paying for Performance: Using Cover Crops to Improve Water Quality." Agricultural and Resource Economics Review.. 42:3 (December 2013): 491-507.
- Lee, J., E. Kleczyk, D. J. Bosch, A. M. Dietrich, and V. K. Lohani. Homeowners' Decisionmaking In A Pipe Failure Prone Area.” Journal of American Water Works Association 105(No. 5): May 2013: E231-E241.
- Bosch, D., J. Pease, M.L. Wolfe, C. Zobel, J. Osorio, T. Denckla Cobb, and G. Evanylo. 2012. “Community DECISIONS: Stakeholder Focused Watershed Planning.” Journal of Environmental Management. 112: 226-232.
- Kleczyk, E. J. and D. J. Bosch. “Households' Preferences for Plumbing Materials.” Corrosion Resistance. Dr Shih (Ed.), ISBN: 978-953-51-0467-4, InTech, (2012)
- Bosch, D., N. Kuminoff, K. Stephenson, J. Pope, A. Harris, and A. Miller. “Evaluation of Policy Options for Expanding Oyster Aquaculture in Virginia.” Aquaculture Economics and Management. (14) (2010): 145-163.
- A. Arnette, C. Zobel, D. Bosch, J. Pease, T. Metcalfe. “Ranking Watershed Goals with Analytical Hierarchy Process: Effects of Participant Grouping Scenarios.” Environmental Modelling & Software. (25) (2009): 1459-1469.
- Lee, J., E. Kleczyk, D. Bosch, E. Tanellari, S. Dwyer, and A. Dietrich. "Case Study: Preference Trade-offs Towards Home Plumbing Attributes and Materials.” Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management. (135:4) (July/August 2009): 237-243.
- Farooqi, O. E., Loganathan, G. V. (Late), Lee, J., Edwards, M. A., Scardina, P., and Bosch, D. “Criteria for Plumbing System Replacement.” Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management. (135:4) (July/August 2009): 227-236.