Kevin J. Boyle
- Director, Program in Real Estate
Kevin Boyle's research focuses on improving methods to measure nonmarket values and to elicit preferences. He works with stated-preference methods (contingent valuation and choice modeling), revealed-preference methods (hedonic and travel-cost models, and averting behavior) and benefit transfers. Applications of his research include surface and groundwater, land use, forest health, climate change, marine resources, and health. He has participated in numerous projects throughout the U.S. and in Canada, Chile, Australia, Bangladesh and India. To learn more about Professor Boyle's work, click on the information below.
Role of Graduate Students
A fundamental goal of my research program is to include undergraduate and graduate students to educate the next generation of scientists and decision makers. Nearly all of my publications are co-authored with students, which provides them with practical, hands-on experience in the research process.
- Jessica Agnew, Ph.D.
- Sreeya Brahma, Ph.D.
- Mallory Malloy, M.S.
- Kristen Swedberg, M.S.
- Katie Stump, M.S.
- Wesley Johnson, Forest Planning Analyst, American Forest Management, Inc.
- Laura Dodson, Agricultural Economist, U.S Department of Agriculture
- Nicole D’Alessio, Insights Business Analyst, LivePerson
- Jessica Boatwright, Community Agribusiness Advisor, Peace Corps, Uganda
- Elizabeth Heier
- David Hartter, Sr. Research and Development Manage, Newell Brands
- Harry Fuller, Supervisory Mathematical Statistician, U.S. Census Bureau
- Nilam Prasai, Data Curator, IFPRI
- Bradley Neumann, Senior Extension Educator, Michigan State University
- Semra Özdemir Van Dyk, Assistant Professor, Duke-NUS Medical School, Singapore (The Norris Charles Clements Graduate Award, Maine Agricultural and Forest Experiment Station Research Council)
- Jessica Sargent-Michaud, Director of Conservation Economics, The Trust for Public Land
- Robert Paterson, Principal, IEC.
- Tommy Hsu, Water Quality Department Manager, Hunsaker & Associates
- Genevieve (Pullis) La Rouch, Field Supervisor, Chesapeake Bay Field Office, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- Jennifer Schuetz, Executive Director, Fractal Foundation
- Brian Harris
- Shelly Phillips, IT Business Analyst
- Steve Lawson, Senior Director, Public Lands Planning and Management, RSG, Inc.
- Margaret Schneemann, Water Resource Economist, Illinois-Indiana Sea Grant Program
- Holly (James) Michael, Senior Economist, W.H Desvousges & Associates (Dow-Griffee Award, Maine Agricultural and Forest Experiment Station)
- Marcia L. Phillips
- Ramona El Hamzoui, Deputy Mission Director, USAID, India
- Deanna Jalbert, Librarian, Maine School Administrative District 27
- John Westra, J. Nelson Fairbanks Endowed Professor, Department of Agricultural Economics & Agribusiness, Louisiana State University
- Weizhe Weng, Assistant Professor at SUNY Geneseo
- Weibin Xu, Senior Analyst-Enterprise Optimization, United Airlines, Chicago, IL
- Shyamani Siriwardena, Post-doctoral Researcher, Virginia Tech
- Yuan Yuan, Data Scientist, Convoy Inc., Seattle, WA
- Xiaoshu Li, Research Associate, Center for Health Services Research, University of Kentucky
- Sapna Kaul, Assistant Professor of Preventive Medicine and Community Health, Department of Preventive Medicine and Community Health, University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
- Congwen Zhang
- Ewa Kleczyk, Vice President, Client Analytics, Symphony Health Solutions. Philadelphia, PA
- Sonia Aziz, Associate Professor, Moravian College
- Shyamani Siriwardena, Post-doctoral Researcher, Virginia Tech
- Prasenjit Sarkhel, Assistant Professor, Department of Economics, Kalyani University, Nadia, West Bengal, India
- David Scrogin, Associate Professor, Department of Economics, University of Central Florida
- P. Joan Poor, Provost, Upper Iowa University
- Brian Roach, Senior Research Associate, Tufts Global Development and Environment Institute
Current Projects (PI or co-PI)
“Linking land use decision-making, water quality, and lake associations to understand human-natural feedbacks in lake catchments.” Sponsor: National Science Foundation.
“Effects of Oyster Aquaculture on Chesapeake Bay Waterfront Property Values.”
“Market Mechanisms to Address Micronutrient Diet Deficiencies in Low-Income Countries.”
“Sitting of Community Wind Farms: An Investigation of the NIMBY Effect.”
“Large-scale Hedonic Property Value Analysis of Forest Pest Impacts Related to Climate Change - Impact of the Hemlock Wooly Adelgid on Property Values.” Sponsor: U. S. Forest Service.
“Meta-analysis of Forest-Based Hedonic Property Value Studies: Value of Tree Cover in Suburban Areas.” Sponsor: U. S. Forest Service.
“Dynamic Interactions of Monetary and Non-monetary Incentives in Weight Loss Interventions.” Sponsor: NIH.
“Integrated Management of Zoosporic Pathogens and Irrigation Water Quality for a Sustainable Green Industry.” Sponsor: USDA-Specialty Crops.
- Professor, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, September 2012 to present.
- Professor and Head, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, September 2005 to March 2012.
- Distinguished Maine Professor, Department of Resource Economics and Policy, Department of Wildlife Ecology, September 2002 to August 2005
- Chair, Department of Resource Economics and Policy, University of Maine, June 2003 to August 2005.
- Founding Director, Center for Tourism Research and Outreach (CenTRO), University of Maine, September 2004 to August 2005.
Fellow, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, 2019
Faculty Alumni Engagement Award, Virginia Tech College of Agricultural and Applied Economics, 2019
Fellow, Association of Environmental and Resource Economics, 2018
Academy of Faculty Leadership, Virginia Tech, 2018
Service Award, Land, Water and Environmental Economics Section, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, 2015
Publication of Merit, Environmental and Resource Economics, 2014. Boyle, Kevin J., Christopher C. Parmeter, Bent Boehlert, and Robert Paterson. 2013. “Due Diligence in Meta-Analyses to Support Benefit Transfers.” Environmental and Resource Economics, Vol. 55 (3): 357-386.
U.S. Professor of the Year, Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching and Council for Advancement and Support of Education, 2004
Distinguished Maine Professor, University of Maine, 2003
ESCOP/ACOP Leadership Development Program Certificate, 2003
Distinguished Member, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, 2002
Presidential Research and Creative Achievement Award, University of Maine, 2001
Henson, V. Reilly, Kelly M. Cobourn, Cayelan C. Carey, Kevin J. Boyle, Michael G. Sorice, Nicole K. Ward and Kathleen C. Weathers. 2019. Closing the Human-Nature Feedback Loop: Understanding Peoples Responses to Changing Lakes. Lakeline, Vol. 39 (3): 35-38.
Li, Xiaoshu, Thomas P. Holmes, Kevin J. Boyle, Ellen V. Crocker and C. Dana Nelson. 2019. Hedonic Analysis of Forest Pest Invasion: The Case of Emerald Ash Borer. Forests, Vol. 10 (9): 820. https://doi.org/10.3390/f10090820
Robert J. Johnston, Kevin J. Boyle, Wiktor Adamowicz, Jeff Bennett, Roy Brouwer, Trudy Ann Cameron, W. Michael Hanemann, Nick Hanley, Mandy Ryan, Riccardo Scarpa, Roger Tourangeau, Christian A. Vossler. "Contemporary Guidance for Stated Preference Studies." 2017, Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economics, Vol. 4 (2): 319-405.
Rothwell, Erin, Sapna Kaul, Kevin Boyle, and Bob Wong. "Value of Genetic Incidental Findings Related to Cancer Causing Genes." American Journal of Cancer Prevention, Vol. 4 (3): 44-50.
Kaul, Sapna, Rochelle R. Smits-Seeman, Eduardo R. Zamora, Holly Spraker-Perlman, Kevin J. Boyle and Anne C. Kirchhoff. “Adolescent and Young Adult Cancer Survivors’ Valuation of Post-Treatment Recommended Care.” Journal of Adolescent and Young Adult Oncology, Vol 6 (1): 127-133. (doi:10.1089/jayao.2016.0054).
Siriwardena, Shyamani, Kevin J. Boyle, Thomas P. Holmes and P. Eric Wiseman. 2016. “The implicit value of tree cover in the U.S.: A meta-analysis of hedonic property value studies.” Ecological Economics, Vol. 128: 68-76.
Cultice, Alyssa, Darrell J. Bosch, James W. Pease and Kevin J. Boyle. 2016. “Horticultural Growers’ Willingness to Adopt Recycling of Irrigation Water”. Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Vol. 48 (1): 99–118.
Boyle, K.J., R.W. Paterson, R.T. Carson, Christopher Leggett, B. Kanninen, John Molenar, and J. Neumann. 2016. “Valuing Shifts in the Distribution of Visibility in National Parks and Wilderness Areas in the United States.” Journal of Environmental Management, Vol. 173: 10-22.
Cohen, Jed, Klaus Moeltner, Christine Blinn, Kevin J. Boyle and Thomas P. Holmes. 2016. “Hedonic Valuation with Translating Amenities: Mountain Pine Beetles and Host Trees in the Colorado Front Range.” Environmental and Resource Economics, Vol. 65 (3): 613-642.
Boyle, Kevin J., Mark Morrison, Darla Hatton MacDonald, and Roderick Duncan. 2016. “Investigating Internet and Mail Implementation of Stated-Preference Surveys While Controlling for Differences in Sample Frames”. Environmental and Resource Economics, Vol. 64 (3):401-419.
Yuan, Yuan, Kevin J. Boyle and Wen You. 2015. “Sample Selection, Individual Heterogeneity and Regional Heterogeneity in Valuing Farmland Conservation Easements.” Land Economics, Vol. 91 (4): 627-649.
Dymond, Randy, Kevin J. Boyle, Yvan J. Beliveau, Rosemary Carucci Goss, Raman Kumar and P. Eric Wiseman. 2015. “Development of an Interdisciplinary Undergraduate Program in Real Estate: Breaking Down University Silos.” Journal of Real Estate Practice and Education, Vol. 18 (2):141-162.
Tanellari, Eftila, Darrell Bosch, Kevin Boyle and Elton Mykerezi. 2015. “On consumers’ attitudes and willingness to pay for improved drinking water quality and infrastructure.” Water Resources Research, Vol. 51 91): 47-57.
Hashemi, Ali, Wen You, Kevin J. Boyle, Christopher F. Parmeter, Barbara Kanninen and Paul A. Estabrooks. 2015. “Identifying Financial Incentive Designs to Enhance Participation in Weight Loss Programs.” Journal of Obesity & Weight Loss Therapy, Vol. 5 (247):2.
Zhang, Congwen, Kevin J. Boyle and Nicolai V. Kuminoff. “Partial Identification of Hedonic Demand Functions.” Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Vol. 71:180-197.
Aziz, Sonia, Kevin J. Boyle and Thomas Crocker. “Parental Decisions, Child Health and Valuation of Avoiding Arsenic in Drinking Water in Rural Bangladesh.” Journal of Water and Health, Vol. 13 (1): 152-167.
Li, Xiaoshu, K. J. Boyle, Thomas P. Holmes, and Genevieve Pullis-LaRouche. 2014. The effect of on-site forest experience on stated preferences for low impact timber harvesting programs. Journal of Forest Economics, Vol. 20 (4): 348-362.
Li, Xiaoshu, Evan L. Preisser, Kevin J. Boyle, Thomas P. Holmes, Andrew Liebhold and David Orwig. 2014. “Potential social and economic impacts of the hemlock woolly adelgid in Southern New England.” Southern Naturalist/Northeastern Naturalist, Vol. 13 (6): 130-146.
Aziz, Sonia, Khwaja M. Sultanul Aziz and Kevin J. Boyle. 2014. "Arsenic in drinking water in Bangladesh: factors affecting child health." Frontiers in Public Health, Volume 2, Article 57: 1-6.
Tobias Börger, Nicola J. Beaumont, Linwood Pendleton, Kevin J. Boyle, Philip Cooper, Stephen Fletcher, Tim Haab, Michael Hanemann, Tara L. Hooper, S. Salman Hussain, Rosimeiry Portela, Mavra Stithou, Joanna Stockill, Tim Taylor and Melanie C. Austen. 2014. “Incorporating Ecosystem Services in Marine Planning: The Role of Valuation.” Marine Policy, Vol. 46:161-170.
Boatwright, Jessica, Kurt Stephenson, Kevin Boyle, and Sara Nienow. 2013. “Stormwater Control Infrastructure and Residential Property Values.” Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management.
Kaul, Sapna, Kevin J. Boyle, Nicolai V. Kuminoff, Christopher F. Parmeter and Jaren C. Pope. 2013. “What Can We Learn from Benefit Transfer Errors? Evidence from 20 Years of Research on Convergent Validity.” Journal of Environmental Economics and Management.
Boyle, Kevin J., Christopher C. Parmeter, Bent Boehlert, and Robert Paterson. 2013. “Due Diligence in Meta-Analyses to Support Benefit Transfers.” Environmental and Resource Economics.
Kotchen, Matthew J., Kevin J. Boyle and Anthony A. Leiserowitz. 2013. “Policy-Instrument Choice and Benefit Estimates for Climate-Change Policy in the United States.” Energy Policy, Vol. 55: 617-625.
Teisl, Mario F., Eric Fromberg, Andrew E. Smith, Kevin J. Boyle and Haley M. Engelberth. 2011. “Awake at the Switch: Improving Fish Consumption Advisories for At-risk Women.” Science of the Total Environment, Vol. 409 (18):3257-3266.
Hatton-MacDonald, Darla, Mark Morrison, John Rose and Kevin J. Boyle. 2011. “Valuing a Multi-State River: The Case of the River Murray.” TheAustralian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Vol. 55 (3): 373-391. (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-8489.2011.00551.x/full)
Zhang, Congwen, and Kevin J. Boyle. 2010. “The Effect of an Aquatic Invasive Species (Eurasian Watermilfoil) on Lakefront Property Values.” Ecological Economics, Vol. 70 (2): 394-404.
Boyle, Kevin J., Nicolai V. Kuminoff, Christopher F. Parmeter and Jaren C. Pope. 2010. “The Benefit Transfer Challenges.” Annual Review of Resource Economics, Vol. 2: 161-182.
Taylor, Laura, Mark Morrison and Kevin J. Boyle. 2010. "Exchange Rules and the Incentive Compatibility of Choice Experiments." Environmental and Resource Economics, Vol. 47 (2): 197-220.
Boyle, Kevin J., Nicolai Kuminoff, Congwen Zhang, Michael Devanney, and Kathleen P. Bell. 2010. "Does a Property-Specific Environmental Health Risk Create a 'Neighborhood' Housing-Price Stigma? Arsenic in Private Well Water." Water Resources Research, Vol. 46: W03507. (http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/2010/2009WR008074.shtml)
Scrogin, David, Richard Hofler, Kevin J. Boyle and J. Walter Milon. 2010. “An Efficiency Approach to Choice set Formation: Theory and Application to Recreational Destination Choice.” Applied Economics, Vol. 42 (3): 333-350.
Boyle, Kevin J., Nicolai V. Kuminoff, Christopher F. Parmeter and Jaen C. Pope. 2009. “Necessary Conditions for Valid Benefit Transfers.” American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 91 (5): 1328-1334.
Neumann, Bradley C., Kevin J Boyle and Kathleen P. Bell. 2009. “Property Price Effects of a National Wildlife Refuge: Great Meadows National Wildlife Refuge in Massachusetts.” Land Use Policy, Vol. 26 (4): 1011-1019.
Özdemir, Semra, and Kevin J. Boyle. 2009. “Convergent Validity of Attribute-Based, Choice Questions in Stated-Preference Studies.” Environmental and Resource Economics, Vol. 42 (2): 247-264.
Parson, George, Ami Kang, Christopher Leggett. 2009. "Valuing Beach Closures on the Padre Island National Seashore." Marine Resource Economics, Vol. 24 (3): 213-235.
Paterson, Robert W., Kevin J. Boyle, Christopher F. Parmeter, James E. Neuman and Paul De Civita. 2008. “Heterogeneity in Preferences for Smoking Cessation.” Health Economics, Vol. 17 (12): 1363-1377).
Moeltner, Klaus, Kevin J. Boyle and Robert W. Paterson. 2007. “Meta-Analysis and Benefit Transfer for Resource Valuation: Addressing Classical Challenges with Bayesian Modeling.” Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Vol. 53 (2): 250-269.
Nelson, Marcy L., James R. Gilbert and Kevin J. Boyle. 2006. “The Influence of Siting and Deterrence Methods on Seal predation at Atlantic Salmon (Salmo salar) Farms in Maine, 2001-2003.” Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, Vol. 63 (July): 1710-1721.
Aziz Sonia N., Kevin J. Boyle, and Mahfuzar Rahman. 2006. “Knowledge of Arsenic in Drinking-water: Risks and Avoidance in Matlab, Bangladesh.” Journal of Health, Population and Nutrition, Vol. 24 (3): 327-335.
Sargent-Michaud, Jessica, Kevin J. Boyle, and Andrew E. Smith. 2006. “Cost Effective Arsenic Reductions in Private Wells.” Water Resources Bulletin. Vol. 42 (5): 237-245.
Champ, Patricia A., Kevin J. Boyle, and Tom C. Brown (eds.). 2017 (2nd edition). A Primer on Nonmarket Valuation. Springer.
Bell, Kathleen P., Kevin J. Boyle and Jonathan R. Rubin, (eds.). 2006. Economics of Rural Land-Use Change. Ashgate Publishers: UK.
Heal, Geoffrey M., Edward B. Barbiere, Kevin J. Boyle, Alan P. Covich, Steven P. Gloss, Carlton H. Hershner, John P. Hoehn, Catherine M. Pringle, Stephen Polasky, Kathleen Segerson, and Kristin Schrader-Frechette. 2005. Valuing Ecosystem Services: Toward Better Environmental Decision-Making. The National Academies Press: Washington, DC.
Bergstrom, John C., Kevin J. Boyle, and Gregory L. Poe (eds.). 2001. The Economic Value of Water Quality. Edward Elgar Publishing, Inc.: Cheltenham, UK.
Article ItemKevin Boyle named Willis Blackwood Real Estate Director , article Date: 04/02/2019