Mike Ellerbrock loves his students and teaching Economics! He serves as the Undergraduate Director for the department and conducts multiple Extension initiatives including the Virginia Natural Resources Leadership Institute (VNRLI) and EPA's National Environmental Justice Advisory Council (NEJAC).
Ph.D., Applied Economics, Clemson University, 1980
M.R.P.A., Recreation and Park Administration, Clemson University, 1975
B.S., Recreation and Parks, Texas A&M, 1974
Virginia Tech Center for Economic Education- develop economics curricula for Middle and High School, conduct workshops and teach graduate courses for K-12 Social Studies teachers, serve on Board of Directors of Virginia Council on Economic Education.
Virginia Natural Resources Leadership Institute - 19th year training federal, state & community practitioners on environmental conflict resolution.
U.S. EPA National Environmental Justice Advisory Council and Virginia Advisory Council on Environmental Justice - hear cases from around the country (national council) and Virginia (state council) and provide council on environmental justice issues for executive decision-making.
Foundation for Teaching Economics - Training HS Teachers in Eastern European Transition Economies
University of Virginia - Semester-at-Sea 2010 and 2012
- AAEC 1005 - Microeconomics of the Food & Fiber System
- AAEC 1006 - Macroeconomics of the Food & Fiber System
- AAEC 1264 - Peace Economics
- AAEC/REL/STS 2264 - Science & Religion: Friends or Foes?
- AAEC 3324 - Sustainable Development Economics
- 1992 - Present: Professor and Director, Center for Economic Education, Virginia Tech
- 1989 - 1992: Assistant Vice President for Academic Affairs, Texas A&M-Commerce
- 1986 - 1989: Assistant Dean, Arts and Sciences, Texas A&M-Commerce
- 1985 - 1991: Associate Professor, Agriculture, Texas A&M-Commerce
- 1983 - 1985: Assistant Professor, Agriculture, Texas A&M-Commerce
- 1981 - 1983: Assistant Professor, Food and Resource Economics, University of Florida
- 1978 - 1980: Instructor, Recreation and Park Administration and Tourism, Clemson University
- 2022 Recipient of the AAEA - Agricultural & Applied Economics Association's (AAEA’s) Distinguished Teaching Award: 10 or more years undergraduate teaching
- 2020 Virginia Tech Academy of Faculty Service
- 2019 Virginia Tech CALS Diversity and Inclusion Service Award
- 2010 University Wine Award for teaching excellence
- 2010 Virginia Tech CALS Faculty Service Award
- 2008 and 2004 Students’ Choice Award by Virginia Tech Student Body
- Congressionally-sponsored 2002 USDA National Award for Teaching Excellence for all fields of Agriculture, Natural Resources, Human and Veterinary Sciences.
- 1999 National Excellence in Program Evaluation Award from the American Evaluation Association.
- 1998 University Sporn Award for excellence in teaching introductory subjects at Virginia Tech.
- 1997 Outstanding Teaching Award from the Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Member of CALS and VT Academy of Teaching Excellence, 1998- Present.
- Distinguished Faculty Teaching Award in 1987 at Texas A&M - Commerce.
Ellerbrock, M.J., “Sustainable Development Requires Environmental Justice,” International Journal of Sustainable Development & Planning, 13(2): 2018, 208-214.
Ellerbrock M., G. Groover. "Do Independent Farmers Serve the Common Good?" NACTA Journal, 57(2): 30-34, June 2013.
Ellerbrock M. June 2013 - August 2014. Metrics Program Development Service. Roanoke River Basin Association. Total Amount: $24,000. 100% Participation.
Serrano, E., M. McFerren, M. Ellerbrock, et al., "Cost-Effectiveness Model for Youth EFNEP Programs: What Do We Measure and How Do We Do It?," Journal of Nutrition Education & Behavior, 43(4): 295-302, 2011.
Wood, C., R. Lyons, M. Ellerbrock, D. Moore, "Evolution of a Liberal Education Course Linking Agriculture, the Arts, and Society," NACTA Journal, 54: 61-68, 2010.
Ellerbrock, M.J., J. Bayer, and R. Bradshaw, “Sustaining the Commons: The Tragedy Works both Ways,” Bulletin of Science, Technology & Society, 2008, 28(3): 256-259.
Book Chapter: M.J. Ellerbrock, "A True Education: To Be Drawn Out," Teaching Excellence at a Research-Centered University (Boston: Pearson Publishing, 2007), pp. 85-91.
Roanoke Times, 22 OpEd Columns on public policy issues.