Frequently Asked Questions
DSPG 2023 program dates: May 22 - July 28
(Symposium July 27th)
Application deadlines extended:
Graduates: Feb. 15, 2023
Undergraduates: March 1, 2023
Yes, you are eligible to apply as a non-VT student. We take at least 5 non-VT students every summer.
- 2-paragraph statement of interest,
- a resume,
- a transcript (unofficial is fine),
- the names and email addresses of 2 references. The DSPG director will request reference letters in February 2023 if you are invited to interview.
There is no remote option. DSPG is an onsite internship.
It is a full-time internship. Students are required to work full-time and on-site during the whole internship. You are not allowed to miss any part of the 10-week period.
No, you cannot. You must be registered as a student to be eligible to be considered.
If you are graduating in the Spring or Summer of 2023 and you are a VT student, you are not eligible for this program. If you are a non-VT student please contact firstname.lastname@example.org so we can assess your eligibility.
For undergraduate students:
- Stipend: Undergraduate interns will be paid a stipend of $5,000.
- Housing: The program will provide on-campus accommodation for undergraduate interns, if needed.
- Travel: We can provide $500 travel support based on financial need if you are coming from outside the Blacksburg area and you are not a VT student.
For graduate students:
- Stipend: Graduate stipends will be paid at the VT summer rate.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY
Instructions to apply:
- If you are a VT student, use your PID and password to sign in. If you are not a VT student, create a VT account.
- Click 'Start new application'
- From the drop-down, select '2023 summer research application', select 'Data Science for the Public Good'
- Click 'Create application'
The DSPG class is supported by DataCamp, the most intuitive learning platform for data science and analytics. Learn anytime, anywhere, and become an expert in R, Python, SQL, and more. DataCamp’s learn-by-doing methodology combines short expert videos and hands-on-the-keyboard exercises to help learners retain knowledge. DataCamp offers 350+ courses by expert instructors on topics such as importing data, data visualization, and machine learning.